Wednesday, February 15, 2012

to nick.


Our life in Long Beach has consisted of nothing less than a long list of adventures: late nights, early mornings, lots of coffee (me), ice cream (nick), and Mexican food. We have miscommunicated, misunderstood, and mistreated each other. When he says I cleaned the bathroom, he really means: I organized it, and when I say I’m making a quick run to the store—what I really mean is: I’m going to Whole Foods keep an eye on our bank account. The list of things you learn about a person once you marry them is both wonderful and terrifyingly vulnerable. Six months of marriage and we have already kissed with morning breath, left our laundry until the last minute and even eaten peanut-butter toast for dinner. We have cried ourselves to sleep disappointed in our not so perfect- human-spouse, and disagreed on more than just television shows. However, one thing that six months (even three weeks) of matrimony will highlight is our need for Christ.

Six months is not a long time, however it remains a mini milestone for us. As we celebrate today I remember the details of what has made all 182 days so unique, unimaginable and unpredictable. In 26 weeks I have worked harder than I ever have at a relationship that came relatively easy for 8 years. But hey, the cross was not pain free, and neither is the process of being sharpened by my “spiritual best friend with lots of benefits”. Perseverance produces joy. It produces the nights of belly-aching laughter and indescribable passion. Thank you, Nick for being my husband. I wouldn't want any other squeezing my hand before we fall asleep.

I love you.

The reason that marriage is so painful and yet wonderful is because it is a reflection of the gospel, which is painful and wonderful at once. The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope. This is the only kind of relationship that will really transform us...But a good marriage will also be a place where we experience more of this kind of transforming love at a human level.
-Timothy Keller in The Meaning of Marriage

No comments:

Post a Comment